Monday, January 25, 2010

Grabbing at exercise wherever I can find it


So, it was rainy in L.A. last week. Really rainy on Thursday, when I decided that, rain or shine, I would run to work. It's about 5k to work, and between the rain, the traffic lights and the detours due to flooding, I didn't get it done very quick. But I was looking forward to the opportunity to run in torrential rain and, as it doesn't happen too often in SoCal, I was obliged to get wet.

Fast forward to Sunday, I got this last minute invite to join a 75 mile bike ride from Irvine to Solana Beach. (map is absolutely not too scale, I kind of wasn't paying attention to where we were going. but I'm promised we went 75 miles. I think that map misses all of Camp Pendleton, which we did ride through.)

Muscle memory is a funny thing; I haven't been training much on a bike, but those bygone years of constant training and racing are hard to forget. We cruised down the coast pretty quick, followed by pizza (Pepperoni, Pineapple and Jalapeno, thanks Mark!) and a few pitchers of Green Flash (thanks West Coast Ale!), and then the train-ride back up to Irvine, where we started. I had a blast riding with that crew (check out Mai's blog, Velo Angels, for the real dirt)

photo courtesy of Olivia Cao

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you joined us, Bear, Will, whatever. You kicked butt and proved to be strong like bull out there in your spandex, fingerless gloves, no sunglasses, and a holey jersey with no base layers!

    ReplyDelete