Friday, April 9, 2010

File under: Stopped running, still (somehow) not a fatass

To cut directly to headbanging, cut to headbanging.


So, if my blog has come to a grinding halt, know that my running career has, as well. I KILLED IT in Redondo (came in 1599th place, fuck you #1600!! with your slow ass...) and I basically see that as an opportunity to dust my hands off and move on. I still have the shoes, so maybe I'll run again. We'll see. No "pace times" until further notice.

The blog name will stay the same because, frankly, "pronating in public" still makes me laugh.

OK, so, last night, my girlfriend, from here on known as Lina, treated us to the best concert of my life.

I've been a "metal head" all my life. And it started like this, (maybe...)

As a young teen (13 or so) I had so many metal cassettes and shirts, etc. I hid them at home, cuz I was fairly sure my mom wouldn't dig it, and I love that woman, and would never try to distress her with suspicion of rampant devil-worship. I wore a Slayer bandana under my football helmet for several years, not only because its high-quality fabric kept my nasty unwashed-hair oil off my already acne-pocked face, but it also made me insufferably tough, "post game". One day, my mom found it, was none-too-pleased, and threw it out.

For years after, I hid my "Heavy Metal". Every vinyl, cassette, shirt and hat (and bandana?) was hidden away safe, in a place where a mother would NEVER look (under my bed, where EVERY mother looks).

My mom found a cassette copy of Metallica's "Ride the Lightning". I thought I was finished. Dead. Tried and sentenced, as I stood, in my bedroom. Turns out my mom was a Metallica fan (?!) and even had a record I didn't have, Master of Puppets (?!???!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!)!

Been a fan of Metal, in whatever form it takes, ever since.

Brings me back to Amon Amarth. Could be that no one cares. but I'm proud of myself for remembering the setlist as the show went on, so I'm going to include it here.

Twilight of the Thunder God

Free Will Sacrifice
Valkyries Ride
Asator
Varyags of Miklagaard
Dragons Flight Across the Waves

Guardians of Asgard
Under the Northern Star
Tattered Banners and Bloody Flags
Valhalla Awaits (this video also appears to be a Braveheart tribute, suh-weet!)
Death in Fire
Runes to my Memory
...And soon the Earth Will Cease to Be
Live for the Kill
Cry of the Black Birds
The Pursuit of Vikings

Amazing show, Lina and I rode bikes there (House of Blues) and back (Venice) , so we got some of that in, too.

If you got time, click on some of them tracks. I suggest "Twilight of the Thunder God", "Pursuit of Vikings" and "Guardians of Asgaard", only because those are the one's with videos. They're ALL good, I promise that. Money-back guarantee.

Skål!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment